RAGGEDY ANNIE'S GRANNY



This blog will be all about FUN Times .. Granny's have fun times too you know .. especially Raggedy Annie's Granny .. she's always having a good time!!


Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

DAY SIXTEEN .. THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT!!!

Tuesday, February 25 .. we awaken in Ocala, Florida. .. the sun is shining .. another beautiful day for us while they are having bitter cold back home in Missouri!!!  On our agenda for today is to ride on a glass bottom boat at Silver Springs!!!  We step outside the sliding doors of our ground floor room and can see the office and Hospitality area of the Days Inn where we stayed for the night.  We decide we will take a walk over there and get our Breakfast .. a walk is always good before Breakfast, right???? 




It's a very nice and very clean  Hospitality Room!! 


And we are there early .. two of the first few people to come in .. Yayyyyyy!!! 








Ours is the last room on the right .. ground floor!! 


Car is packed .. our bellies are full  .. first duty of the day .. mail these post cards ...  



 
 The postcards are on their way!!! 
 

We stopped at a grocery store to buy some ice and bottled water and spied this sign as we were walking across the parking lot to the car .. we found it really funny because one of the things we talked about at our dinner at the Colonial Country Club in Fort Myers with Pat & Rich and Ron and Helen was "are little Catholic girls really told they can't wear patent leather shoes because the boys can see up their skirts"?????  And here we are .. the Ocala Civic Theatre was putting on a production about just that subject .. of course I had to take a pic .. LOL LOL LOL!!!  


We have arrived .. Silver Springs State Park







The boardwalk bridge was built AROUND the trees!!!
















We were quite enamored of all the beauty in Florida as we had left snow and ice back home in Missouri and were getting reports of more snow and ice!!!












There were several small shops but many of them weren't open yet .. we were there very early .. the day was just beginning for them!!!



Time to climb aboard the glass bottom boat!! 






And who is this big guy laying in the sun????


How about a close-up .. with the zoom lens of course .. LOL!!!




As we were gliding through the water our pilot was telling us stories all about the Springs .. and hovered over spots where water was coming up from the various springs so we could take pictures .. but it is hard to see much  in the pictures .. and of course I can't remember any of the stories!!!












Turtles balancing on a log .. an Alligator in the water nearby!!


See the Alligator????



Following  are pictures of a canoe that sung many many years ago in the Springs and is still at the bottom!!! 












 
Hmmm .. I guess I accidentally hit the RECORD button and got a video of my leg bouncing .. LOL!!!


There are  3 sculptures in the bottom of the Spring that have been there for many years also .. and are covered with Moss .. of course I don't remember that story either!!!  I think they are in  the picture above this writing and the 2 below it.  You are seeing them from above and I think the rounded areas are the heads on the sculptures!!



This is the deepest of the Springs and is close to the area where we were standing and I was taking pictures of the glass bottom boats coming in from their excursion before we got our chance to go out!  we circled around this area for a good while to be sure we all got good pictures of the deep deep Spring and the sculptures.


Someday when I have nothing else to do I plan to do some research on these Springs and the stories the boat pilot told us so I can add those stories to this posting!!!  Or maybe we'll just go there again and I'll take a tape recorder with me next time .. LOL!!! 


The Silver Springs had a part in  many movies filmed many years ago!!  Our pilot had many interesting stories about that too .. darn I wish I'd had a tape recorder!!!  









Click on the links below to take a tour on the Glass Bottom Boat ...
 
 
 
 
As we were going through the very small museum area at Silver Springs the very nice cashier told us that this beautiful had been closed and let go to ruin and the state decided to reopen it and make it a state park.  They have not been reopened very long. As I was looking for Glass Bottom Boat videos I came across a video of Silver Springs before they began the rebuilding and reopening!!! Click on the link below .. you will be amazed at what they accomplished in a very short time!!
 


We also wanted to see a Cracker Village that was located not far from Silver Springs ..


Sad to say .. it was closed and nothing was going on there!!! 



There supposedly were classes going on there during the week but we didn't see any signs of activity anywhere!!!  Oh well .. I got pics anyway!!! 



Notice what is holding the porch up!!! 








 
For more information on Silver Springs  click on the link below ..
 
 
We soon left Ocala and headed for the Days Inn in Pensacola, Florida.  After getting settled into our room we went looking for a good place to eat and look what we found ..
 
 
The picture is blurry but I bet you can figure out what it is .. one of our favorite Restaurants .. yep .. CRACKER BARREL!!!!  A good meal and a good night's sleep and we will  be ready to see the sights in Pensacola, Florida!!! 



1 comment:

  1. In the future Liz, would you please that pictures of me from the front. People will start thinking that I am always walking away from you and you do not like me.

    ReplyDelete

FEEL FREE TO MAKE COMMENTS .. I love to read them and reply. Comments make you realize someone is actually looking at your blog .. LOL!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Blogging is one of my favorite things to do .. in fact .. I have FOUR blogs .. LOL!! "MY BIT OF MORNING BLATHER" .. is just that .. a bunch of blather!! My way of keeping up with friends and family. "BERTHA'S BED AND BREAKFAST" .. this is an ongoing project about my ancestry. RAGGEDY ANNIE'S GRANNY .. is about fun things Ken and I have done and travels we have made!!! KEN AND LIZ'S BIG ADVENTURE .. is about our latest adventure .. selling our home and buying another home!! If you want to check any of them out let me know and I will send you a link!!