RAGGEDY ANNIE'S GRANNY



This blog will be all about FUN Times .. Granny's have fun times too you know .. especially Raggedy Annie's Granny .. she's always having a good time!!


Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

DAY FIVE .. FROM MYRTLE BEACH TO ST. AUGUSTINE!!!

 
But first a few more pics from Day Four .. LOL!!  I had planned to finishs the story of Day Four when we got settled in to our hotel in St. Augustine but no such luck .. more on that later!!!
 
We were planning to spend our last evening at Myrtle Beach playing cards with Jerry & Edna, George & Vivian and Richard & Marilyn but first Jerry & Edna picked us up and we went to another place they all love for our supper .. Cheeseburger in Paradise!!!
 
 





The pics didn't come out too well but I think you can get the drift .. it's a very neat .. very colorful place!!  And the Cheeseburgers were very big and very good!!!  Yep .. I'll be wanting to come back here if I get to Myrtle Beach again!!!   
 
After our delicious and very filling supper we met up with the others and played cards.  We showed them how to play "Kings In The Corner" before we got to the games they are used to playing .. "Pay Me" and "SCAT".  It was a lot of fun and a lot of laughs and guess who won the game of "SCAT"??????  Yep .. ME!!!  Everyone puts a quarter in the pot before the game starts plus each person has 3 nickels in front of them and eventually that money goes in the pot too .. the person who still has money left when the game is over wins the pot .. let me see .. 25 X 8= $2.00 and 15 cents X 8 = $1.20 .. so I won a total of $3.20 ... Yayyyyyyyyy!!!  LOL LOL LOL!!!
 
It was a fun evening and I really like these people .. I'm looking forward to seeing them again .. probably next year at this time!!! 

And then we get to DAY FIVE ...  the first thing I saw when I looked out our window was 2 surfers out there in that cold cold water!!!  Hard to believe these guys were out there playing that early in the morning in water that had to be freezing cold and the waves were still wild .. but then I guess that's what surfers look for .. the wild waves!! 



We finally had ourselves packed up and ready to leave by 7:30 am .. and look what was happening out there on the horizon ..


Wouldn't you know it .. the morning we're leaving and there is the SUNSHINE!!! 
div>

 
Ken had been telling me that his favorite place for Breakfast at Myrtle Beach is Friendly's .. you can get a Waffle with Ice Cream .. one of his favorite things to have when he was there .. so of course on this our very last morning at Myrtle Beach .. we pulled into Friendly's for Breakfast!! 
 





Another very colorful place .. LOL!! 


I got the Waffle of course .. this one is a Red Velvet Waffle .. served with Ice Cream, Strawberries and Whipped Cream .. and 3 Sausage Links .. Yummmmmmm!!! 



Ken got the Eggs Benedict .. I think my Waffle  looks a whole lot better!! 


I did share it with him .. I gave him 1/4 of it when he was finished with his Breakfast!
 
  
Goodbye Friendly's .. Goodbye Myrtle Beach .. see you next year .. I hope!!! 
 
And we hit the road for St. Augustine, Florida!!  Bertha (our GPS) says we will arrive in St. Augustine at 2:47 pm .. of course she's not counting the rest stops and gas stops!!  Gas at the WILLCO TO GO gas station was $3.04 a gallon.


 


I didn't take many pictures as we drove and drove and drove ..all we saw for miles was Pine Trees .. on both sides of the roads .. miles and miles of them!!  Starting out we saw a lot of limbs on the ground also from the freezing rain and ice a couple of days before!!



Around the Charleston, South Carolina area we started seeing basket stands along the road .. most of the stands were empty but a few had their stands full of baskets and were there trying to sell them!

Somewhere along the way we passed a restaurant with the name "Suckbang Blow" .. Oh Boy!!! 




This unique bridge was in the Charleston area!!


In South Carolina we saw many marsh areas!!  Temp in South Carolina at 11:20 was 56 degrees .. we're getting warmer already!!! 



 



More Pine Trees!!



Almost to Savannah .. Palmetto Trees here .. along with the Pine Trees!!


Look at that beautiful bright blue sky!!!


A busy busy Rest Stop .. WOW!!!


We made it to Georgia!!!  12:44 pm .. 154 miles to St. Augustine!!


And look what we found at the Rest Area ... a penny smashing machine .. Yaaaayyyyy!!!


2:00 pm .. time for lunch .. can you tell we love Cracker Barrel????  LOL LOL LOL!!!  Temp is 61 degrees .. we finally took our coats off for the rest of the trip!!!
 

On the road again .. and what do we see?????  TREES .. TREES .. TREES!!!


Florida at last .. Wooooo Hooooo!!  


What a nice Rest Area .. they even give you free Orange Juice!!! 








 
We made it to St. Augustine about 4:30 .. the $79.00 a night rooms in the hotel we had planned to stay in were all  filled up .. but they could give us  a room that was $169.00 .. ummmmm .. no thanks.  We got the same tale at the next hotel we went to!!  We saw a Knight's Inn across the way .. went over there .. they actually had a couple of $79.00 rooms still open .. so of course we took one!!   Well .. this might have been a perfectly lovely room if the charge was about $39.00 .. would be pretty much what I would expect for that .. but that beautiful place we had in Myrtle Beach was a bit less than $79.00 a night .. that made this place seem really awful!!  No Coffee pot, No hair dryer, No Fridge, No Microwave, the TV was one of those big ugly elephants from a few years back .. and I battled and battled and battled and never did get a good connection to the internet!!!  It would say I was connected but limited .. I could not do anything on the computer!!  I even carried my laptop to the lobby area and the girl at the desk tried getting me connected .. sure enough it was connected .. but by the time I carried it back to the room and sat it down on the desk .. it was disconnected!!  While we were in the lobby Ken asked the girl at the desk where was a good place .. she pointed at the small restaurant across the and said it was a great place to eat.  So once we got all settled in we walked across the way to "The Oasis".  An older couple was walking towards us from the restaurant headed back to the hotel and Ken asked them if it was good .. "Oh yeah .. it was delicious"!! Hmmmmm .. they had Meatloaf on the menu and Ken loves Meatloaf .. so of course that's what he wanted .. I decided I'd give it a try too.  YUKKKKK!!  Worse Meatloaf I have ever ate!!  I must admit .. the menu said "New York Style" food .. so maybe this was how they like their Meatloaf in New York .. we didn't either one like it!!  We left a good part of it and the Potatoes and Broccoli on the plate.  Between the hotel and our supper it was not a good start for our time in St. Augustine!!! 
 
 
We had planned to spend 2 days / nights in St. Augustine but when we got back across the parking lot we went into the lobby and told the girl at the desk that I never did get fully connected to the internet and was tired of battling with it  and to cancel our stay for the next night.  Needless to say I was having withdrawal problems from not being able to do anything on my computer .. not able to post my pics and tell my story .. Arrrgghhhhhh!!!  The thought of staying in that place another night had my nerves really screaming .. once we cancelled for the second night .. my nerves started calming down and I finally was able to shake my head and laugh about the situation!!  OH .. and I didn't tell you the noise .. the highway noise .. we were very close to the highway .. I had brought my pills that help me sleep when needed .. we could not find them anywhere .. we emptied every bag .. dug through the car .. finally decided maybe I had forgot to put them in and gave it up!!!  (I found them the next day .. they had somehow gotten under the lining of one of the suitcases .. LOL!!)  Anyway .. in trying to get to sleep I tried to convince my poor addlepaited brain the traffic noise was actually waves rolling in .. naahhhhhh .. didn't work .. I love the sound of thunder storms .. so I next tried convincing myself the sound was thunder and pouring rain .. maybe that worked because I did eventually go to sleep .. but it was a battle!!  Funny thing is .. the next morning when we got up the car and parkig lot were very wet .. when we were checking out the girl at the desk asked if the big storm we had during the night had kept us awake .. do you think maybe my poor addlepaited brain actually conjured up a REAL storm????   LOL LOL LOL!!! 
 
This day certainly did not end well .. our next day in St.  Augustine was a whole lot better!!!  For that story .. check out DAY SIX .. when I get it posted .. LOL!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  


4 comments:

  1. Your breakfast looks really good Liz. Kens so-so....
    We miss you guys around here but glad you are having a good time and letting us enjoy it with you!

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant in Terre Haute and I've always wanted to go there just because of the name and it looks really cool but never have. Looks really neat. The waffle with ice cream for breakfast looked yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz and Ken !! I am just checking out your blog Sun.evening. Emma was here for lunch and movie this afternoon and Megan and Keely were here this evening. I have been to Cheeseburger in Paradise in Terre Haute and I agree, It is awesome and delicious hamburgers and drinks are yummy ! I felt like I was in Florida ! I enjoyed your pics .Yes, Your breakfast looked delicious , Liz !! Glad you are having a fun time with Ken's friends . I can't wait to hear about your St. Augustine trip. Are you still going to Orlando , Florida and go to Universal Studios at Disney World? We are suppose to have freezing rain and sleet here tomorrow ! Yeah !! -Big Hugs to you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to know others are enjoying the trip too .. it should be much more enjoyable now that we are in sunshine country!!!

    The Cheeseburger was very delicious and waaayyyy too many Fries .. I gave lots of them to Ken and still wasn't able to eat them all!!

    I just saw on FB about the freezing rain coming for you guys .. Yukkkkkk!! I'll try not to be nasty and say nanananana .. LOL!!! Getting ready to do some more posting on the St. Augustine day so I'm outta' here!!

    ReplyDelete

FEEL FREE TO MAKE COMMENTS .. I love to read them and reply. Comments make you realize someone is actually looking at your blog .. LOL!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Blogging is one of my favorite things to do .. in fact .. I have FOUR blogs .. LOL!! "MY BIT OF MORNING BLATHER" .. is just that .. a bunch of blather!! My way of keeping up with friends and family. "BERTHA'S BED AND BREAKFAST" .. this is an ongoing project about my ancestry. RAGGEDY ANNIE'S GRANNY .. is about fun things Ken and I have done and travels we have made!!! KEN AND LIZ'S BIG ADVENTURE .. is about our latest adventure .. selling our home and buying another home!! If you want to check any of them out let me know and I will send you a link!!