RAGGEDY ANNIE'S GRANNY



This blog will be all about FUN Times .. Granny's have fun times too you know .. especially Raggedy Annie's Granny .. she's always having a good time!!


Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DAY TWO .. WHERE'S THE SUNSHINE?????


Are you ready for this?????  LOTS of pics of today's drive through the Smokey Mountains from Knoxville, Tennessee thru North Carolina and into South Carolina to Myrtle Beach .. through rain, snow, sleet .. more rain .. sleet again .. Hmmmmm .. snow again .. and cold cold cold and windy!!!!



























Hard to see in these pics but there is snow / frost / a layer of white on the trees higher up on the mountains!!
 

Ken says we should be coming to tunnel .. otherwise we're gonna' have to drive right through the side of the mountain!!!






How did you like your ride through the tunnel????  LOL LOL LOL!! 







AH .. another tunnel .. decided to be happy with a picture of this one .. LOL!!



It's not snowing at this time but we're seeing more and more snow on the trees and ground along the highway!!!


We have made it to North Carolina!!!  



 And there is snow everywhere!!!
 

Beauty inside the rest stop .. a collection of pottery!!!




 

 
Of course I had to get a picture of the snowmen too!!!!
 



And beauty outside the Rest Stop!!!










And we just HAD to do a selfie!!!!



ON THE ROAD AGAIN ...
 
 

The white band running down the side of the mountain looks like a mighty wild sled ride!!!!


And we hit SNOW!!!











 
I KNOW .. I KNOW .. I should have turned the radio off .. LOL!!!
 
 
Eventually we came across flashing lights .. and a jack-knifed semi!!  We thought we'd be sitting a while but we were lucky ..the semi was only across the left lane .. they were letting people through in the right lane!!!!










Maybe a little Chocolate will help .. LOL!!!



Well .. we've made it to South Carolina!!!





This is the fourth salt truck we have passed on our journey!!!


See that Cracker Barrel sign???  Yeah .. you guessed it .. we are going to Cracker Barrel!!



YAYYY .. we made it!!!  


 It is now raining instead of snowing .. and cold enough that  the rain turns to slush!!!


The slush piled up on the windshield when we came back out!!!

 

Looks like we're on the right trail!!!


Yep .. another Myrtle Beach sign .. we ARE on the right trail!!






This sign says "Grissom Parkway" .. my maiden name is Grissom .. so of course I had to take a picture!!!  Hopefully I'll get a better picture tomorrow!!!


WHEW!!  We made it at last .. about 4:30 pm!! 
Caravelle Resort .. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina!!! 

 
This will be our home for the next couple of days!! 


Funny .. the rain has stopped .. and it's looking bright and sunny .. but it's really cold and windy .. I'm ready to get into our room and get comfy and cozy and relax for a while!!!!




Our room is on the first floor .. you can see the ocean as soon as you walk into the room!!!

 
We had thought we would be able to walk down to the beach from our room but they have a yucky fence out there .. too cold to go looking for the way today .. let's unpack and settle in .. and RELAX!!!
 

It's really windy and there are some really wild waves out there .. I'll get a video tomorrow!!!




We even have a kitchenette!! 

 
AND a spot in the parking garage ....
 

It's 6:00 we're all settled in to our room .. we've had a rest and it's time to find something to eat!!  Ken says he's taking me to his favorite eating place in Myrtle Beach ..


River City!!!


 
He told me I'd better bring my camera along  because I would want to take pics .. he was right!!  I love the décor .. especially the old wooden tables and the old  wooden chairs painted all different colors!! 


 There were a few people in the bar but Ken and I and this couple were the only ones seated in this dining area!!!  We found out they are from St. Louis!!  Needless to say we had a long conversation about the weather and "what in the world are we doing here" .. LOL!!!


No we did not make this whole mess .. most of it was already there when they seated us!!!


A roaring fire would have been nice on a night like tonight!!!


The waitress was a sweetheart and offered to take our picture before we left .. of course we couldn't say no!!!  WHOOPS .. I almost forgot to tell you .. Ken's reason for loving this place????  Their Darlington 500 Sandwich .. that is 1/2 pound of fried Bologna on Toast with Cheese and Grilled Onions .. he was in Hog Heaven .. LOL!!  I grew up eating Fried Bologna sandwiches and I like it but I didn't want 1/2 pound of it .. I got a Bacon Cheeseburger on a Pretzel Bun and it was so big I brought half of it back with me!!!  Fried Bologna is a big thing around here .. there is a place called Bojangels that serves it also .. I am planning to enjoy MY Fried Bologna Sandwich at Bojangels!!   However .. River City will definitely be on my list of places to eat if ever we get here again!!!  

We are now all settled into our room and taking life easy .. Olympic Pair skating is on TV .. Ken is stretched out reading and watching TV ..  and you know what I'm doing .. pecking away on my keyboard again!!   There are all kinds of bad weather warnings out for this area .. sounds like we'll not be doing much sitting in the sun on the beach listening to the waves roll in!!  We'll be meeting up with Ken's friends tomorrow.. don't know what's on the agenda from there but will post some more when I get a chance!!! 

Thank You Lord for this opportunity and for getting us here safely through all the mess!!!  Good Night All!!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the ride but a little scary seeing all the snow. Been praying for your safety. Still can have a good time even if the weather don't cooperate. Thankful you are getting to go on this excursion. Thanks Ken for giving Liz this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz and Ken !! It is 35 and blue sky and sunny today ! I am babysitting Noah and Ali !Going with Katrena to Kyle's Phi Kappa Induction ceremony at LTC.He was on the Presidential list because of his excellent grades !! I am so proud of him ! I so enjoyed your pics on your second day! I really liked the videos! I like the music on there! You can tell you are having fun even if the weather is not cooperating very well. I hope you get through Georgia before the ice storm! This looks like it might have been better to take the trip in the Spring! I have been to North Carolina and it is so beautiful and went river rafting and enjoyed the beautiful"Biltmore Estates:I stayed in a Swiss cabin in the mountains and went on a site train through the Smokey Mts. --I have never been to Myrtle Beach,but it looks lovely. I just wish it had been warmer for you so you could have sit outside and enjoyed the beach and the ocean !! Our weather is so strange right now !! Be careful and Be safe !! Love and Hugs to you both !! (The place you are staying is just beautiful !!) Enjoy !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again ladies for taking time to comment!! I appreciate it!! Yes I agree Kathy .. it might have been better to wait for Spring to do this .. LOL!! Will do next time!! I would advise anyone who comes to Myrtle Beach to stay here .. very nice place right on the beach and not all that expensive .. I think it was around $183.00 for 3 days / 3 nights .. not anywhere near what I thought it would cost!!! I am already thinking I want to come back .. at a better time!!!

    ReplyDelete

FEEL FREE TO MAKE COMMENTS .. I love to read them and reply. Comments make you realize someone is actually looking at your blog .. LOL!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Blogging is one of my favorite things to do .. in fact .. I have FOUR blogs .. LOL!! "MY BIT OF MORNING BLATHER" .. is just that .. a bunch of blather!! My way of keeping up with friends and family. "BERTHA'S BED AND BREAKFAST" .. this is an ongoing project about my ancestry. RAGGEDY ANNIE'S GRANNY .. is about fun things Ken and I have done and travels we have made!!! KEN AND LIZ'S BIG ADVENTURE .. is about our latest adventure .. selling our home and buying another home!! If you want to check any of them out let me know and I will send you a link!!